While the cold season seems like it’s already been going on for much too long, its effect on our heating bill is just beginning. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to allow sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Trying to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a call at 256-270-1196. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Heflin weather.