Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how frequently your air filter has been replaced, to name some—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Bain Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc in Heflin about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the amount of time between specialized cleanings.
Above all, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the experts at Bain Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running efficiently, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Bain Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters regularly and changing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Heflin home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Bain Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc a call at 256-270-1196.