Whether you enjoy winter or desire the warmer months in Heflin, many of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a large impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can set temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at Bain Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Bain Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc in Heflin a call to begin. Contact our team at 256-270-1196 or schedule an appointment with us online.